SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
As I have explained the conditions on the S Francisco bay have many times winds over 20K. If the boat is not designed to sail with 30k winds cannot hope to win the cup and all want that. The rules allow them to have smaller wings if they think that the ones they have cannot be safely used with 30k. It is for them to decide or do you think that or should the coast guard telling them what is safe or not when they do not even do that with cruising boats?

Talking about nanny state:

If that happened it would be a major scandal. It is for the defender to assure the conditions for the race to be held according to the protocol. If that is not possible on the S, Francisco bay it would have to be elsewhere, probably in Italy, the house of the Challenger, in Rome. That is a thing for the lawyers to decide but one thing is for sure: The protocol takes precedence and can only be altered if all agree.

Regards

Paulo
Here in the US the CG can declare our voyage manefestly unsafe if our boat is not safe for the conditions. Yes the CG can stop us from sailing, and it can stop the AC if it desires. Our boats however do not require a CG inspection to sail. The CG may stop us any time and perform an inspection. If we do not have the required safety equipment, our boat will be stopped and fined, and may be ordered to return to harbor.

Does your local/country perform required inspections on your boats on a regular basis?

I do not make the rules, the US CG does. I don't have to like or dislike, but if I want to sail in US waters, I need to follow.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook