SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Elan 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hi!

What the hell is a "weight program" and what "future" they are talking about? They are talking about the Elan 400 or about future boats? For reducing significantly the boat weight they have to improve building techniques/resins and work on a lighter interior. It is certainly possible since a Pogo 12.50 weights 5.5T and even if I don't believe too much on the announced weight it has at least 1.500kg less than the Elan 400.

But if the boat loss something like 1.5T than the hull should be redesigned to make it more "tendue" and more easier to plan.

Regards

Paulo
A translation of a section of this article Fjord Sail og Elan fortsetter - SEILmagasinet
Quote:
NEW ELAN 400
Elan launched its new Elan 400 under the Dusseldorf trade fair in January. We talked to Hove on the show who thought then that the boat has not been as the yard promised it to be, it's too heavy. Improving it's part of the deal.

- The deck will be vacuum infused and will be built in vinyl ester. This is one of the improvements that will make it lighter

This should not increases the price, the boat must not get so expensive that it gets uninteresting.

Tor Hove says he has ordered an Elan 400 being delivered in August. It will at the Orust fair and this is a boat that under any circumstances will be weighing more than 7000 kilograms.

- There will be a weight program at the shipyard to address all models. You can say that I have been a catalyst for it, but I have always had the full support of designer Rob Humphreys, continues Hove.

One thing Hove points out is that he believes Elan is in a unique position to improve its existing products.

- We have the ability to improve, weight wise, the 310, 350 and 400 a lot. They will lose weight without compromising comfort, he said.

Last edited by knuterikt; 05-23-2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Corrected weight to 7000 kilograms
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to knuterikt For This Useful Post:
PCP (05-24-2013)