SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Yea, the CG got nothin to do with it......

Safety ideas become rules for Americas Cup | SBS World News

The US Coast Guard has insisted all America's Cup safety ideas discussed following a training death become rules for the sailing contest.
Well, anything's possible, of course... But I simply have a hard time imagining - barring any further tragedy, of course - the CG denying the permit for the AC as things currently stand...

At the 2011 Superboat World Championships in Key West, 2 drivers were killed on the first day of competition, a Wednesday...

On Friday, a 3rd driver was killed in another crash, the 9th racer to be killed at Key West over the previous 27 years... Nevertheless, the event continued without interruption or modification though the finals on Sunday...

In 2012, the race was back, with the Superboat Unlimited class running faster than ever before...

So, if history is any guide, the USCG doesn't appear to have much of a track record of denying permits to these sorts of events...

Pretty spooky to my untrained eye how close to the exit of that turn some of that spectator fleet is allowed to be, but we have to presume the Coasties know best, I suppose... (grin)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-23-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook