SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't read this unless you have time . .
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Don't read this unless you have time . .

I was in no way intending to bash users of electronics. I have several devices on my boat too and things like depth sounders, autopilot, SSB, wind instruments are irreplaceable.

The point that I was trying to make (and many missed, sorry I should have been clearer) is how a device appears in a magazine as "white man's magic" and within weeks all and sundry and especially magazine journos start saying things like "you should never leave a port without one of these". And the shortest measurable space of time is from the journo declaring it essential to the authorities adding it to the mandatory list.

And it's more about safety devices an anything else. My personal favourite is the PLB. When you fall overboard, it sends a message to some person in California who now knows exactly where you are.

Doesn't know why, doesn't have the ability to send your own vessel back to fetch you, doesn't have a battery life long enough for the nearest ship to reach your position. Maybe I have misunderstood the operation of these toys but to me they're about as useful as tits on a rain barrel.

I'd rather spend that money on a new top-of-the-range feather duvet for my cabin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook