SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't read this unless you have time . .
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Don't read this unless you have time . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I am not that old but when I learned to sail a Loran was a nice luxury. I chartered a boat this week and one of my crew had 4 GPS in his bag. Just in case the wind picked up, the fog rolled in and the our home port became unfamiliar, I guess. His GPS came in handy when we needed to know when we far out enough to empty the head.

What irks me is someone who buys all the toys they can for a boat they never take out of the bay or sail if it the wind is greater than 10 or the temps are less than 70 or there is any percip in the forecast, then mindlessly stares at a chart plotter while sailing on a beautiful day. I was once on a boat in the Bahamas as crew on a passage in between islands. The skipper had some high end software on his laptop and was staring at it following the magenta course line while motoring the whole way. I doubt he understood the navigational theories beyond keystrokes or could read a paper chart.

My biggest concern is people who buy electronics and let it do all the thinking for them, what happens in a power failure? I would be even more annoyed if the state forced me to stock my boat with high end equipment just to leave the dock.
The answer to your question goes to its core. How many people do you know or better yet hw many people do you think [/QUOTE]let their electronics think for them ?[/QUOTE]. Very few . What makes you assume they can't read a chart or understand navigational theories. Most I know have purchased electronics as a supplemental navigational aid to their charts and are quite adept at reading them

I agree with Omatakos (Andres) statements though about the marketing of "must have" for safety as ths not so either.

I am trying to figure out why this stuff irks or concerns you how much electronics someone else has and what they decide to put on their boats. Why does it bug you how many times someone else uses thir boat.
Just enjoy your own boat and your own decisions what you purchase for it.

Sailing is the name of the game, no matter how everyone decides to do it.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 05-23-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
travlineasy (05-23-2013)