SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

George if you were not aware; the AC72 course is expanded, it will run to the east end of Alcatraz/Pier 39. I realize that the "citifront race course" is more protected (west of St Francis), I have sailed the area but that's not the area of concern for the AC72 race course. I know by the many times I have sailed up along the city that as soon as you get to Pier 39 and turn to the left towards the bridge by comparison of relative windspeed you're in the slot. The boat takes a strong heel and the windspeeds come up to 20+ right outside the Pier 39 marina entrance. I've seen boats go south of Pier 39 to raise sail; and we usually go south of Pier 39 to Gybe or catch the wind shadow benind Alcatraz. When Oracle is practicing they usually turn around just south of Pier 39 and then go back upwind through this area and then to the NW; areas where the wind is clear and strong. I don't think they are practicing in this zone without knowledge of where the racing course is going to be.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook