SailNet Community - View Single Post - dnf because of county police boat?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: dnf because of county police boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
If the sailboat was rapidly changing course while rounding a mark he was not "standing" on his course.

This is a regular argument between power and sailboats. It makes things very difficult for a powerboat trying to stay out of the way of a sailboat when the sailboat jibes and tacks and demands that the powerboat keep changing course to stay out of its way. Ifthis is what happened I don't blame the cops for being ticked off.
I mostly agree with this. I'm pretty sure that the COLREGS do not mention a boat engaged in racing as being exempt from the navigation rules. Often, racing skippers assume that their race is the tantamount consideration and they are quite used to maneuvering in tight quarters with each other.

Perhaps a polite call on channel 16 would have alerted the police boat of the sailboat's intentions. Perhaps not.

I still don't understand how a sailboat traveling 5 knots is moving at an 'improper speed'. I also have no clew as to why the police were hanging around a navigation buoy in the first place, but of course they can go where they damn well please, can't they?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook