SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't read this unless you have time . .
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Don't read this unless you have time . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Do not listen to everybody. The only thing you need before you leave the dock is a strong rig, VHF, Epirb, Harness and Jack lines, and a tub of this no-seal stuff that you can shove in any hole that make be caused to occur in your boat to stop water intrusion immediately. Seriously you can take a glob of this stuff, shove it in a 2 1/2" diameter hole with water spouting in, and it will seal and stop it in seconds.
Oh and you should probably have some charts of where you are sailing- So I think a handheld GPS is important as well. And a life vest. And some sort of auxiliary power source in case you lose or have no wind so that you can keep control of the boat. And an anchor in case all else fails so you can have time to get a solution worked up and avoid a worsening situation.
That is all you need. The rest is just conjecture.
Always interesting to see how others prioritize this sort of stuff...

Don't mean to pick on you, obviously your 'list' is not intended to be comprehensive... But an anchor and charts appear to be virtual afterthoughts on yours, while they would be right at the top of mine... An EPIRB, on the other hand, would likely be so far down my own list of 'necessities', as to be practically forgotten...

A compass would be pretty high on my list, as well... Astonishing, the low priority given to the compass by many of today's sailors... I'd be amazed if more than 1 in 20 boats out there today have ever had their compass swung, for example...

On this $1+ million 'Globe-Girdler', the compass was unreadable to a helmsman standing at the wheel... Not to mention, given its proximity to the plotter, it was rarely within 15-20 degrees of being true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

Of course, modern electronics are great in what regards navigation and I have them as everybody else but I agree they had induced a sense of easiness that was not previously existent. when people ventured on a voyage on a boat they had already mastered navigation and that would take necessarily many years where seamanship was being acquired.

The electronics make the life easy in what regards navigation and some people now buy a boat and without previous experience go on long cruises and voyages.... but the sea and the wind are as they have always been and the seamanship on those cases had not been acquired and is nonexistent. A recipe for potential disaster.
>Broken Record Alert<

Exactly, Paulo - that's always at the heart of these discussions, for me - and the essence of what I mean by today's gadgets "enabling" so many of the mishaps we continue to see today, when all this stuff should theoretically be enhancing safety and proper seamanship... GPS has changed the game to a degree that it's still difficult to fully appreciate, so many people are 'out there' now, that previously would not have been... No freaking way, for example, would the owner of RULE 62 had been sailing his boat to the Caribbean - at least not with that crew, or without an experienced offshore navigator and sailor aboard - in the first place, were it not for GPS making it so easy to find his destination...

>Broken Record Mode OFF<

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-24-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook