Thread: My Horror Story
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: My Horror Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Well, I guess if I did inspect the Keel Bolts and saw corrosion I would be so depressed as to pretty much list the boat for sail since in the bottom of my mind I would never be able to have peace way from dock again. I guess right now, with everything else thas happened and going on, Im just not ready to deal with that possible can of worms...
So you would rather risk your life sailing with an unknown deficiency than with a known one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
...I hope no person here would refrain from giving me their opinion because they thought I did not care to hear it.
EXCEPT ABOUT BOAT LIABILITY INSURANCE
So you would rather risk other people's property to damage due to your own boat's unknown deficiencies than protect yourself against a liability that you can't afford to pay out of pocket.

Look, owning your own keelboat is a lot different from being a passenger on your daddy's Hobie 16. You have an awful lot to learn. And if you don't learn those things, you bear responsibility for your mistakes. "I didn't know any better" is not a valid excuse when you damage someone's property or injure somebody.

Your failure to realize the possibility of keelbolt corrosion, or the possible deficiencies of your motor, is just the tip of the iceberg. There's a whole lot more that you (and I) don't have a clue about. That's why insurance companies require surveys, and don't trust the self-assessments of dreamy-eyed novice sailors.

Getting an insurance survey and buying some insurance may save your life. At the very least, it may save your future livelihood from a future of garnished wages.

You're sounding like an obstinate child with all your "I won't do that," and "Your advice is wecome EXCEPT ABOUT BOAT LIABILITY INSURANCE."

I hope we don't end up reading about you in the newspaper someday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 05-24-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook