SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't read this unless you have time . .
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't read this unless you have time . .

"But to vilify and castigate a whole group of sailors for utilizing electronics is not valid IMHO.As I have stated almost of my friends/ collogues have learned and practiced good seamanship without and without electronics. There is no need to go back to a sextant and celestial navigation. There is no need as CD mentioned to remove a radar and consider it frivolous and contributing to poor seamanship. "

I heartily agree. I did not mean to say ALL of "a whole group of sailors for utilizing electronics", only, as pointed out on this forum many times, that this equipment enables so many more people to be out there on the water far from where they should be, knowledge wise. A reliance on this equipment without a proper knowledge base, can get them in trouble and potentially jeopardize those who encounter them.
I have already said that I hold electronics in high regard. I love the simplicity and accuracy, the size (my chartplotter, wind instruments and radios all together are so much smaller than a sextant [two actually], a chronometer, plotting sheets and a half a dozen very large, heavy books) and reliability. My chartplotter screen can take a wave, hell a hundred waves and even be fully submerged for a time and continue to function perfectly, whereas any charts subjected to the same conditions could be a tiny bit hard to use.
I think you and I pretty much agree on all this and perhaps I'm just not a good enough writer to convey my meaning correctly.
Where we might disagree is on the AIS, EPIRB, DSC and PLB stuff on pleasure craft, but I do not want anyone to take my personal views on this as, in any way, a suggestion that they should "do as I do", period.
I am a dinosaur, I know it and fully realize that I will be extinct soon, and it's probably for the best. Because when that day comes, as it surely will, when a government refuses me clearance without my complying with their safety requirements to go offshore, I would depart anyway, and be doomed to spend eternity at sea (or until my food and fuel ran out) and vanish without a trace, as others have before me. I have heard tales, in waterfront taverns, of an island where sailors never die.......