SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Boat Buying Advice
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: First Boat Buying Advice

Welcome to SaiNet.

It sounds like you are off to a good start.

I started out with a Venture 2-22 (later MacGregor). For the Mac 26 on your list you don't mention if it's the true sailboat or the hybrid. It will make a difference as the hybrid won't sail as well.

Others will have more useful advice, I'm sure, but I would say to pay attention to your gut about boats that don't "speak" to you. This is a decent-sized committment and purchase and if you don't like the boat from the beginning, you'll probably be less likely to drag it to the slip, deal with rigging it and sail it. Not to mention the continued, never-ending maintenance and work a sailboat requires.

I always suggest joining a local sailing club so that you can get experience on different boats before taking the plunge. Especially if, when you are ready to sell up or get out, you more than likely won't get back the money you put into it.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook