SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Boat Buying Advice
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: First Boat Buying Advice

I would suggest two different paths. Either a light weight day sailor like a Potter 15 or 19 or the club. The reasoning being the bigger and more seaworthy of a boat you get the less of a trailer sailor it becomes and more of a trailer boat. As a boat gets heavier it becomes harder to launch. I could launch my Chrysler 22 solo but it would take hours. Unless you can prop up the mast and drop in the boat in less than a half hour you will be sailing less than you should. So if you are going to get a trailerable boat make sure it is easy to set up and launch.

Alternatively I think joining a club is a better alternative. My club is cost $200 to join and $30/mos that applies towards a rental. If you have a couple friends who like to sail you can get them to pitch in $20 and go out for an afternoon. Its hard to ask them to contribute when its your boat. As you get better and are ready to step up, round up some more friends and get a bigger boat for the day. You can also do a lot of free sailing by racing. Just show up on the dock for Wednesday night beer can racing, if its windy and you are carrying at least 12 cans of beer your sure to find a ride.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook