SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mildew
Thread: Mildew
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Mildew

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Tea tree oil is the main active ingredient in Kanberra Gel. We tried the gel last winter. The gel seems to work best if you leave it to permeate an undisturbed area;if you keep opening to fresh air (like us who live aboard) you lose much of the advantage. Thus my suggestion for tea tree oil from a health food store above, diluted and sprayed directly onto surfaces it leaves a residue that lasts for months. Cheaper than the gel as well by a considerable margin. I have heard - but have not tried - that you can mix the oil into unflavored gelatin and make your own version of the gel.
Wing is right, the gel works best over the few days that we are closed up during the week. But it really does work. Amazing stuff.

I somehow doubt the rumor about gelatin. The consistency of Kanberra is almost toothpaste-like, but it all evaporates. I'm not sure the gelatin would.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook