SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flaking the Main Sail
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Flaking the Main Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
One trick for releasing the halyard slowly when the clutch is at the cockpit and you are at the mast is to stand on the exposed halyard routed on the cabin deck. You could even install a cam cleat on the mast which holds the halyard there to make this easier. Harken has that recommendation here for the spinnaker halyard, but it would also work for the main:

This is exactly what I do. Foot and all.
Harken

The other is to flake it well at the mast (making sure to get the alternating flakes there), then fix it up at the far end of the boom from the cockpit. When I'm singlehanding it is hard to flake it properly at both ends by myself, but if I do the mast side first then it goes easily.

I start at the ban and pull taught each flake and the mast part seems to take csre of itself.

If you find it hard locating the right flake points at the far end then you could get them right once and mark them to make it easier to find them the next time.
I love my lazy jacks. I think if you are careful and flake the sail in the same place everytime it will remember that. Mine with jack pretty much flakes itself. Even in wind. I just tidy up a but and put the sail ties on.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 05-28-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook