SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&D Canal
Thread: C&D Canal
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: C&D Canal

In case you aren't the same person that posted the same question on the SSCA Forum, I'm repeating here:

You don't care a wit about tide (unless you draw 12') going through the C&D. You care only about current. Unfortunately the phase difference between state of tide and current is very variable on that trip.

The best resource, given Internet access, is NOAA's Tidal Current Predictions. Props to Seaduction for pointing it out first.

I time passage to pass Worton Point (see predictions from NOAA here) at or within an hour after slack before flood. If you can maintain close to 6 kts through the water you'll have a fair current through the C&D Canal and all the way down the Delaware Bay.

Unless you fit under the bridge at Cape May I prefer Cape Henlopen as a rest stop on the way North or to wait for current on the way back South.

Annapolis to Cape Henlopen is usually 20 - 24 hours for me. Easy run even single-handed.

Remember that ebb/flood on the Chesapeake and ebb/flood on the Delaware are different (thus the interesting currents in the C&D Canal). Follow the current predictions in the links from Seaduction and from me and you'll be good. No need (unless you want to break up days) to stop at Chesapeake City or Reedy Island. Just scoot straight through and have a good run.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook