SailNet Community - View Single Post - Favorite Marinas?
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Re: Favorite Marinas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWollard View Post
I've been looking for a slip on the Space Coast. Do you have a favorite marina in the area?

I've visited several, and need to make a decision and cruise up from the Keys before we get too far into Hurricane Season. I'm thinking late July/early August.
I live here. It's hard to advise as I don't know what criteria you use. But let me try it this way, that time of the year you need Hurricane protection.

If price isn't an issue, A good hurricane hole is Harbor Town marina on the barge canal on Merritt Island which would work nicely, as they have plenty of water, a restaurant and pool on the property. the best Hurricane hole is Harbor Square marina also on the barge canal. This one is lower service and a bargain. Neither is close to food stores or shopping.

Titusville Municiple or Westland Marina in Titusville, are both good as they share the same channel are full service marinas with fuel docks. I spent a week at Titusville muni and thought they had their act together. They have about 50% hurricane protection (wide open to the East) compared to the barge canal.

Telemar Bay Marina has great docks and a good location to shopping. A bit pricey and 70% protection compared to the barge canal (closer to the beach). Lastly Waterline Marina in Melbourne. Depth is an issue this time of the year. If you draw over 4' , it's not the place for you and it has 50% protection as the barge canal. Same in Eau Gallie marina.

I did not mention any marina in Port Canaveral as there is mandatory evacuation in any named storm.

You can see I used hurricane protection and shopping as my criteria.... Hope this helps

Whitley Bay, Diamond 99, Pineda Point, Anchorage marina - might as well sink your own boat before a hurricane hits, as it will not weather the storm in any of these.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TropicCat; 05-26-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to TropicCat For This Useful Post:
TheWollard (05-27-2013)