SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheap Classic Plastic smokes the fleet in 2013 Down the Bay Race
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road
Re: Cheap Classic Plastic smokes the fleet in 2013 Down the Bay Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Not to take anything away from those boats, as they clearly sailed a good race, but you can't put too much stock in overall results in a phrf fleet with a 280 point spread! The system just doesn't work well in those circumstances.

To declare the J24 and Hobie 33 to be superior boats to all the others based on that result is just a bit silly.

Having said that, I agree that beating big expensive boats with an old beater is fun!
^^ This. I mean, in a PHRF race a Westsail 32 can "beat" an Open 60...nevermind the fact that the Open 60 completed the race twelve hours before the Westsail... I'll take the (objectively) faster boat, thanks. (caveat being, of course, that I could afford to own a Westsail, I couldn't afford a single sail for the Open 60...) Point being that the results of a PHRF race have very little to do with the boats, and everything to do with the sailor(s) and the conditions of the race.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook