SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&D Canal
Thread: C&D Canal
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: C&D Canal

It's faster than I remembered. I walked through a sampling of the current stations (there are plenty - I didn't look at every one, but plenty to avoid surprises) and came up with timing. Note that I assumed SOG = STW = 6 kts so I did not take credit for current boost. If you account for that the time will be shorter than I calculated:

May 31, 2013 Worton Pt slack before flood 0957 so say 1000 (May 28 slack before flood at 0630 and 2030).

26 miles to Chesapeake City - 4.33 hrs @ 6 kts, pass at 1420, about an hour after peak current +2.3 kts

12 miles to Reedy Island - 2 hrs @ 6 kts, pass at 1620, 15 or 20 minutes before slack before ebb (note - ebb is now Delaware River & Bay ebb, not Chesapeake ebb, also note - reduce STW a bit through the canal to keep SOG about 6 kts to avoid getting here too early or take the boost early and and a short while in foul current before the Delaware boost builds behind you - depends on a trade of fuel consumption (slow down) or minimum total transit time (take the 2.5 kt maximum boost in the Canal and buck 1 kt for about an hour on the Delaware)).

21 miles to Ben Davis Pt - 3.5 hrs @ 6 kts, pass at 1920, about an 1-1/2 hrs into ebb, say -0.5 kts fair.

26.5 miles to Cape May canal entrance - 4.4 hrs @ 6 kts, arrive 2345, 2211 slack before flood & 0042 max flood +1 kt so 0.5 foul (note boost down the Delaware with 6 kts STW and average SOG of 6.5 kts puts arrival at 2315(ish) and results in less time in less foul current. Get SOG up to 7 kts average on the Delaware and you won't see any foul current.

Worton Pt to Cape May canal is 14 hrs or less with a total time in minor foul current of half an hour or so.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 05-27-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook