SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheap Classic Plastic smokes the fleet in 2013 Down the Bay Race
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Cheap Classic Plastic smokes the fleet in 2013 Down the Bay Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
^^ This. I mean, in a PHRF race a Westsail 32 can "beat" an Open 60...nevermind the fact that the Open 60 completed the race twelve hours before the Westsail... I'll take the (objectively) faster boat, thanks. (caveat being, of course, that I could afford to own a Westsail, I couldn't afford a single sail for the Open 60...) Point being that the results of a PHRF race have very little to do with the boats, and everything to do with the sailor(s) and the conditions of the race.
Yes but we were talking about real times, not corrected to PHRF. The Hobie 33 was sailed very higher than its PHRF. That means probably a planing boat sailing over hull speed for a lot of time for a very good crew on ideal conditions for the boat. As others had said that time has to do with the crew, not the boat. There were other boats that could be sailed as fast or more downwind with a great crew, like the j105 ot the J120 that made not so good in real time. That means probably that they were not so well sailed not that the boats are slower.

Regarding other types of boats, like a Sabre, a Catalina or Jeanneau, those are not cruiser racers and cannot plan downwind, most of them did not even had a spinnaker.

To take significant information out of a race regarding boats it is needed that all the boats are sailed at very high level (top regattas) and preferably with hundreds of boats racing and you need to look at the real times not corrected times.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook