SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbie question
Thread: Newbie question
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2002

Joe206 is on a distinguished road
Newbie question

Actually a couple questions. Me and my wife are both interested in sailing but have no sailboat (yet) or sailing experience. We both love diving and being on the water and are saving for a boat....our ideal retirement picture (15 or more years from now ) is to get a boat to live aboard and retire to that and we are starting now to work towards that goal. We are on a limited salary, but we are also patient and willing to work our way there. (even though I want a boat now Hehe)

Now....to tap the vast knowledge of all you experienced boaters...

1) From what I''ve read, starting with a smaller day boat is the best way to learn...what make/model, lengths, etc are suggested for us? Perferably something that we can both ride/use at the same time.
We will be mainly sailing inland (Lakes and a large river)

2) We are a bit away''s from larger cities and I have yet to find any place that gives sailing lessons nearby. Not having the time to drive over 100 miles to get to lessons, any suggestions? And are there any good books that I should be reading prior to all this for ideas?

As you can see, I am a stranger in a strange land right now, but am trying to get my feet wet Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Joe
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook