SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Choice?
Thread: Anchor Choice?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Matt...thanks. If you want more reading, there are a lot of discussions also on the subject over at www.ssca.org bulletin board.
Keith...With my CQR's over the years, I've found that all chain is NOT the best rode. I find that about 50-100 ft. and then a nylon rode works best as all chain tends to pull the anchor out in heavy conditions when the chain is stretched bar tight. The longer nylon rode I find let's the gusts of wind stretch it without jerking on the chain so hard and it ends up staying set better. NOTE: I am not saying this works best with all anchors but it has made a difference in my experience with CQR's. With my Delta (primary) I use standard all chain with long snubbers and that seems to work so it may just be CQR's that benefit from this.

I think another subject which doesn't get much attention is HOW to anchor. Maybe some discussion should be held on how we all drop anchor and get our anchors to set and hold. My guess is that there is quite a bit of variance there as well depending on cruising grounds/anchor type and boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook