Thread: C&D Canal
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: C&D Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Time of arrival depends on the tidal cycle. 1000 at Worton is nice. Three days earlier it's an early start from the anchorage there but arrive at twilight.

All of which is moot since from data on the SSCA Forum the OP has a Gozzard 41 which won't fit under the fixed bridge in the Cape May canal. Cape Henlopen is the way to go.

With respect to following the channel, if you are doing a good job of staying in a fair current staying in the channel helps substantially in getting the most boost, especially off the power plant where the current is about the highest in the Delaware.
Was not aware of the fact that the OP has a Gozzard 41 as it was not posted on this forum (grin). Good information to know as the bridge is 55 ft and the Gozzard is 57'4". Good catch for the OP

As I have also traveled many times to Cape May around the point and you can cut very close to land inside the Prissy Wicks area with no problem or danger. Let me present an alternative though to the Cape Henlopen breakwater, which I also like and is great for delivery Captains like Dave who want to just go and not deal with a harbor like Cape May and it boats,. It certainly is more secluded. It is a great jump off place for up the coast.

If you calculated the NM from the Miah Maul Lighthouse to Cape Henlopen, I am getting about 21 miles. The a trip across Delaware Bay at the mouth gives you another 14.6 km to the Cape May Ocean 2 Buoy.

Total distance is approx. 35.6 n miles. If you calculate the distance from the Miah Maul Lighthouse to Cape May Harbor ( around the point) and back out to the Buoy 2 to continue on the next day its about 26 n miles. I am sure Dave will check my figures You save approximately 9 miles and don't have to deal with crossing the Delaware River by going to Cape May vrs Cape Henlopen. ( And you can some of the best Seafood for dinner)

It really all depends on your method of cruising, crew and how you like to travel. I am not disagreeing with Dave's route just showing another alternative. I have done both. The Cape May route much more often as I don't like the mouth of the Delaware or most parts and I don't want to face it two different days and like to get that portion of my trip over the first day.

Not knowing how you cruise and crew and your next stop I thought Id give you another alternative to choose from

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook