SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheap Classic Plastic smokes the fleet in 2013 Down the Bay Race
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Cheap Classic Plastic smokes the fleet in 2013 Down the Bay Race

I don't put much stock in this result or draw any generalizations from this race , except to congratulate the winner, as any winner is to be congratulated

A paper boat would have set records this weekend in that race. For the record this is a straight line race with nothing even close to an upwind leg.

Conditions were 25-30 steady with gusts to 35 on Saturday on the Bay and they would have been on a broad reach not tacking once down the Bay down the Bay the entire course. Sunday was a repeat of Saturday , minus 5 knots of wind. It was like being in an NHRA 1/4 mile drag race instead of a true test of boats on a course race with different points of sail. How can the use PHRF rating and corrected times in such a race.

We sailed the same direction South on the Bay and on Saturday reached record hull speeds on our little 35 foot boat of 10+ knots with a furled jib.. Nothing like near gale force winds with gusts in that range to give any boat a big PUSH

Now if you'd told me that cheap plastic boat won a race heading north...that would have been a feat indeed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 05-28-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook