SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ana Capri or Anacapri?
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013

lil barby is on a distinguished road
Re: Ana Capri or Anacapri?

BillOcala

I owned an erica 24 from 1980 to 2000. Enjoyed the heck out of it. However I poured a lot of work into it. Kept in a wet slip it developed blisters all over the underside. the epoxy co. advised me to remove all gel coat below the waterline, then 5 coats of epoxy and paint. Worked well. Deck had a soft spot under a stanchion, as you know it's balsa cored. Gave that the epoxy treatment with a series of small holes and a syringe. chainplate holes started to loosen, so I bored the holes oversize, filled with eopxy , redrilled and thru bolted with s.s. backing plates.Carefully modified rudder to kickup as our water in stuart is skinny.Found raising or lowering the mast not to difficult with another person and right rigging,. Ballast on this boat is 850 lbs. stub keel and centerboard. Pay attention to the cable on the board regarding replacement time, also ballast is epoxy cement with iron punchings. Boat was left unattended on shore during vacation, rainwater pooled in stern and started to swell ballast under the aft compartment in the cabin, causing me to cut the floor , remove the rusty ballast and repair.This boat will sail upwind closely. It was designed by eric goetz himself as a MORC, midget ocean racer, I never sailed it under,but can be overpowered in over 20.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook