SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I make this trip as a novice
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 05-28-2013
DrB

Captain Cautious

While others say that it can be done and with a proper amount of planning, go for it, I am less Gung Ho than them. I would see if you can get a buddy to make at the trip with you or at least some of it. This does several things:
  • Makes the time go by quicker
  • Gives you another set of hands if things go wrong
  • Gives you more brain power to do decisions
  • Increases your overall safety, as long as the other person isn't a complete hazard
  • Simple things like docking, anchoring, picking up a mooring,etc. are a much easier

Before owning my own boat, I taught sailing in scout camp, learned on a laser, and my dad had a Catalina 22. Sailed many many times, but It took me almost a year and half of sailing on my own boat with others before I decided to try single-handing. Everything that seemed easy became a challenge by myself. I am much better at it now,but the first few times were a little"scary" in some of the activities.

Unless the winds are absolutely perfect and your are really confident in your abilities, I would motor the entire way. Generally you be faster and get there quicker. Getting there quicker isn't the idea, but getting there safely while still learning about your boat is. A typically sailboat pushed at 6 kts in mild conditions (no real head wind, current or chop) will burn ~0.75 g/h. So for a 100 mile trip your looking at around 16 g of fuel.

If you do go, make sure you tether yourself to the boat and wear a PFD you are underway and on deck.

DrB

If you liked my advice/response, give me some rep points. If you didn't......well what do you expect, it was free.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome