SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I make this trip as a novice
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough
Captain Cautious

While others say that it can be done and with a proper amount of planning, go for it, I am less Gung Ho than them. I would see if you can get a buddy to make at the trip with you or at least some of it. This does several things:
  • Makes the time go by quicker
  • Gives you another set of hands if things go wrong
  • Gives you more brain power to do decisions
  • Increases your overall safety, as long as the other person isn't a complete hazard
  • Simple things like docking, anchoring, picking up a mooring,etc. are a much easier

Before owning my own boat, I taught sailing in scout camp, learned on a laser, and my dad had a Catalina 22. Sailed many many times, but It took me almost a year and half of sailing on my own boat with others before I decided to try single-handing. Everything that seemed easy became a challenge by myself. I am much better at it now,but the first few times were a little"scary" in some of the activities.

Unless the winds are absolutely perfect and your are really confident in your abilities, I would motor the entire way. Generally you be faster and get there quicker. Getting there quicker isn't the idea, but getting there safely while still learning about your boat is. A typically sailboat pushed at 6 kts in mild conditions (no real head wind, current or chop) will burn ~0.75 g/h. So for a 100 mile trip your looking at around 16 g of fuel.

If you do go, make sure you tether yourself to the boat and wear a PFD you are underway and on deck.

DrB