SailNet Community - View Single Post - LifeCaulk vs. 3M 4200
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: LifeCaulk vs. 3M 4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I would be checking for "tracking leaks". These are leaks that track through the deck or between the deck and liner and come out at an area that is not at all where the water went in.

I had a boat seven weeks ago that had a leak over the nav station. Owner re-bedded everything within a 5' radius of the nav desk. Still had a leak. I happened to notice a slight dampness behind a hanging locker around a screw and the leak was traced to the forward port light. Rebedded that port and the problem went away... Water was tracking all the way from the forward port light to the nav desk before it found a means of egress into the boat. Chainplates are a great area where tracking leaks occur if the deck has not been potted.

If the deck has been potted care must be taken to make sure there is minimal to no movement in the chain plate and that the butyl is in compression, (really packed in) if using butyl....
Thanks above.

I'm hoping I have a tracking leak right now from the chainplates to a stanchion base that I rebed last year. I'm hoping that rebedding the chainplates eliminates the leak.

Part of the reason I think that's the cause is that the PO sealed this chainplate from the inside, trapping the water inside the deck where it ran to the nearby stanchion hardware.

Never seal from the inside.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook