SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2013 Sailing Season
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: 2013 Sailing Season

Interesting that you guys rave about how great Sunday was on the Bay. I looked up the wind data for that day, and while Patapsco buoy saw 10-15 mph sustained and gusts typically 3 mph higher (peak gust of 22 mph at 1 pm), Philadelphia had 17-22 mph sustained with gusts 27-33 mph. Based on how the trees were getting pushed around in our yard, we opted for a bike ride instead of a boat ride on Sunday.

Monday, however, was glorious weather with 10-13 mph sustained and no gusts. We made it from Essington to downtown Philly with the current in 2 hours, and made it back against the slowing current in 3 hours.

I've compared the wind data at the two different locations in past years, and we do seem to get a steadier, more predictable mid-summer breeze than you guys do down on the Bay. That, and the 12 minute distance from my house, are about the only advantages of our otherwise mediocre sailing range.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook