SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheap Classic Plastic smokes the fleet in 2013 Down the Bay Race
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Cheap Classic Plastic smokes the fleet in 2013 Down the Bay Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
That is not what happened with the Hobie. Most of the new design boats were beaten on elapsed time by a 30 year old boat. The Hobie 33 finished 4th out of 31 boats, most larger, newer and much more expensive. (It corrected to 1st, just as the J/24 corrected to 2nd and still beat a lot of boats in elapsed time.)

My point was never about PHRF, although some posters misinterpreted it that way.

My essential point was the fact that an inexpensive 30 year old boat blew the doors off the fleet, despite the constant hype about all the new technological marvels appearing on the water, which have made boats much more expensive, but not correspondingly much more faster.
But as others have pointed out, in one set of conditions that ideally suited that boat. In 2009 and 2010's windward races, the same boat was mid pack at best. I can't see asserting its an all round better boat. Most races involve upwind and downwind in more equal measures.

I also don't know how the owner prepares his boat, but he could be spending a huge percentage of the boats value every year for a racing bottom and the latest technology in sails and rigging, while you see very few fully race prepared modern cruising boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook