SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Choice?
Thread: Anchor Choice?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeith
i always thought that it was the amount of chain dropped rather than anchor. i have a cqr which always held as long as i put 5x the chain out. i took off most of the chain cuz i was trying to lighten boat for racing, and yesterday the boat dragged for the first time after i dropped 2x the length for chain. wind was 25knots. i m guessing my problem was too little chain rather than anchor? i guess one can't race while maintaining sufficient chain? any thoughts? thanks
My guess would be that you have most likely not been setting your anchor and the chain and "cynder block effect" have been holding you. Anchors MUST be set and should hold your boat in reverse at full throttle period. Full reverse throttle with a sail boat aux engine is barely 25 knots of wind in terms of force. I run approx 40 feet of 3/8 chain to a 5/8 rode with my anchor and it holds perfectly fine. You really MUST set an anchor by either backwinding the sails or backing down using the motor. Using the cynderblock and all chain technique is fine in benign conditions but not with winds over 15 knots. I have watched literally thousands of anchorings over the years where there was NO setting of the anchor. If this is what you are doing don't feel so bad this is a common theme among boaters. Though not a good theme!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook