SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Probably the most beautiful 2013 boat: Pogo 40 S3

Yes, it is not a cruising boat but what can I say, I guess I agree with Conq when he says beauty in sailboats is directed related with efficiency and speed and this one will be faster by 15% than the previous model

15% in speed is huge and expecting that in what regards the previous racing model is just incredible and if that was not subscribed by Verdier I would say they were nuts and even so.... I have some difficulty in accepting that.

the other thing incredible about this boat is price: less than 300 000 euros and for the ones that know what is the average price of a 40ft ocean racing boat will know what I am talking about: This is going to be the fastest long range offshore racer for the buck.

The New Pogo 40 class racer:

The boat has an unusually low freeboard and the design of the transom and the way it is integrated in the hull is just magnificent. Just to look at it I would expect it to be a very fast boat...it just looks right

That is the first time a Pogo is not designed by Finot/Conq. This one is designed by the new kid sensation among French designers, an outsider that has been working alone with sporadic joint work with VPLP. VPLP are top multihull designers and his theory is that monohulls are going so fast that many of the hydrodinamic problems that arise regarding planing has been already solved on multihulls that come to those kind of speeds first and looking to the results of that strange partnership I would say that he is probably right. I am talking about Guillaume verdier the designer of the boat that won the last Vendee but also the one that come in second and the one that would come in third if it had not lost the keel and many more among the fastest Open 60's (With VPLP colaboration).

he designed also some top racing multihulls and is part of the design team of the AC NZ72.

He did not design yet many cruising boats but I bet that is going to change soon: French main boat builders have a tradition to have their boats designed by the best French NA with the best racing curriculum (in what regards designing boats) specially the ones that design solo racers whose experience is more useful in cruising boats that, like solo boats, should be easy to sail and as fast as possible with the limitations of price and a good cruising interior.

guillaume verdier - architecture navale - Introduction Projets

http://www.vplp.fr/flash/index.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 05-30-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook