SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shore GFCI trips when plugging in boat
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013

rmeador is on a distinguished road
Re: Shore GFCI trips when plugging in boat

This is now a moot point, since my boat is back in the water, but I'd still like to know what was going on. The outlet worked fine for other people using it, and I also tried multiple outlets, so I don't think that is the problem. My hot water heater is AC and did have water in it, but it was turned off -- everything was off except the charger. Now, the charger is a charger/inverter, but I had the inverter function turned off. The manual does mention that it connects neutral and ground on the output side when running in inverter mode. There is no unexpected electrolysis on my boat (the zincs look fine), so I feel like a ground fault is unlikely. Perhaps it's just some brief moment of the inverter connecting neutral and ground when first powered on? There is absolutely no way there was an overcurrent condition, unless it was capacitor inrush upon initially powering the charger/inverter. I had the charger configured to 2A output and all other circuits, AC and DC, were off.

When I went to move the boat back home, the engine wouldn't start. I discovered a very loose connection from the battery bank to the engine ground point. It was apparently good enough to run all the electronics, but couldn't pull enough current to turn over the engine. Is there any possibility this was the culprit? I don't see how, seeing as it was the DC system.

Thanks for your ideas so far!