SailNet Community - View Single Post - Going to look at a Watkins 27.....
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Going to look at a Watkins 27.....

Master Jones got a permanent loan of a screwdriver. No amount of dragging the bottom returned a tool

The Memorial Day weekend was good. Spent most of it doing remodel/repairs and set-up. Got the [temporary?] shelf in for the fridge/microwave..jst to get a feel for how it works out. Made up proper deck/sole access hatch covers from 3/4" ply. Installed the new batt charger...Hoo-raay it works ! Installed the shelves in the wall unit and fastened the stop and catch.
Best of all.... broke out the sails and went out!
Caught the rising tide and motored up river to McDaniel's mooring field. Once well past, idled while raising the sails and caught the sklight breeze and proceeded to tack to and fro, making better knots and longer reaches as the river widened and I gained confidence and 'feel' for her. Ended up in mid channel S. of Jackson's near the entry to Cara Cove. Wind astern, I rigged o the sails "wing-on-wing" by using my new boat hook/painter's pole as a spinny pole . Took her a tad N. of the entry and dropped and stowed sails and (wheew! it started!)motored in. Din't crash the dock, run aground or smash anyone's boat...so all was a succedss.

Only odd happenstance was the 20 degree list acquired overnite with the receeding tide of unusual amount. Bent the floater dock some and squished the 4 and 6 inch fenders. Since replaced with donated 12 inchers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook