SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Visit!
Thread: Boat Visit!
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat Visit!

I agree with everyone else, walk away. there are too many boats out there to buy one that you think is going to have problems, unless you understand what those problems are and what it will cost to fix them, and are OK with both. As I understand it, the Volvo diesels have a reputation for being a bit problematic - but my understanding is based on what I've read, not any first-hand experience or ownership, so take that with a grain of salt.

You also have to expect these kinds of things, unfortunately. Its frustrating, but your opinion of an "acceptable" boat and the sellers will vary drastically. I remember one that I drove 3+ hours to visit that the seller swore was in good condition and was perfectly fine for a family, plus he had a trailer to be able to move it home easily. Once I got there, I saw that it needed a good 3-4 months of work before I could let my wife and kids aboard, the trailer had 2 flat tires and rusted rims, and the area near the tow receiver was practically rusted through. It's annoying when stuff like that happens, but it will happen. I tend to look at those as learning exercises, though. You've been aboard a boat and now know what that model looks like, and where some of the oil and fuel collect on a C27's bilge, so you know where to look in the future.

Regarding specific models, I really thought I'd wind up with a C27 this time around (after having a C25). Then, one day, after discussing what I was looking for in a boat, a broker suggested I check out a C30 he had for sale. I didn't think I'd like it - too big, too much money. Boy was I wrong. The companionway made the boat feel welcoming, and the cabin and cockpit were well laid out for my family's needs. I ultimately didn't buy a C30, but that was more because I couldn't find one in my price range that was anywhere near me than by true choice. I still think I wound up with the better boat choice for what I want in a boat, but the C30 is a great choice.

I also have to say that I respectfully disagree with James. I loved it when sellers offered me the combo to their boat. It meant I could go to the boat at my convenience (as opposed to when our schedules and the weather matched up), I could take as long as I wanted to look over the boat, and I could ook EVERYWHERE I wanted, without the seller standing over my shoulder or trying to steer me toward this or that "feature" (and away from problems). I can see where James would think that is a disinterested seller, but I took it entirely differently. Granted, that only happened a few times to me, and I think they all offered to meet me if I wanted to, the flexibility that afforded me was greatly appreciated.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 05-30-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook