SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mirage 30 - propellor shaft strut
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013

Ken Bowering is on a distinguished road
Mirage 30 - propellor shaft strut

Dear Sir/Madam,

I’ve got a 1984 Mirage 30 sailboat (manufactured by Mirage Yachts in Pointe Claire, Quebec, Canada up till the late-80s when they closed the factory). My problem is that the strut that holds the cutlass bearing for my propeller shaft is slightly bent and should either be replaced or straightened.

The propeller and shaft are not on the centerline of the boat. They’re ahead of the rudder (which is on the centerline), but they’re offset to port by about 12 inches. So, the cutlass bearing strut is also offset to port by about 12 inches.

Inside the hull, and right above the strut, there’s a beehive-shaped “dome” of fiberglass and it appears as if the strut “fits” into a cavity inside that “mound”. There are two bolts that go horizontally (athwart-ship) through that “mound” and they seem to be what holds the strut in place. It seems unlikely that there’s a horizontal flange on the strut, inside the fiberglass dome.

Thus, apart from the fitting at the end of the strut which holds the cutlass bearing, it appears as if the strut may be just a flat piece of metal – no “horizontal” flange.

The shaft has been removed as have the two bolts that pass through the dome inside the boat, but the flange doesn’t move (I haven’t put much force on it to pull it out but, after almost 30 years. I would expect it to be rather tight).

The thickness of the “flat piece of metal” portion of the strut is about ½ to 7/16 inches thick (wide – athwart ship) and the overall length is about 8½ inches long (tall), the fore-and aft measurement is about 3¼ inches.

So, what I’m asking is whether anyone here has had experience removing and/or replacing the strut?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook