SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI Charter Lessons Learned
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Re: BVI Charter Lessons Learned

Part Two
Provisions - For the first time I order all my provisions online. I used Rite-Way. They delivered all that we ordered at the time I specified. I was not there when they showed up due to the ferry leaving very late in St Thomas. When I arrived all the food was properly stored on the boat. Wow Wow Wow. Even had a 6 pack of beer on ice. Wow Wow Wow ( I quickly put another 6 pack on ice before the crew arrived). All the fresh fruit and vegetables were top notch ( I was a little worried about this to be honest). I have to give Rite-Way 5 stars out of 5. Outstanding service. Many thanks..
We provisions once more in Virgin Gorda for bread and fresh vegetables. Pricey but worth it. We cooked every meal on-board the boat except one lunch I think. We had two chefs (me and another crew member) who love to cook on the boat. So not a problem.
Meats for dinner and lunch, I ordered from Omaha Steaks online. With the discounts, I feed 4 crew members, 10 meals for under $120. I love the individual packaging. Makes it real easy to pack into a large flexible Igloo with ice packs. They were still frozen when I arrived on the boat. BVI customs did not say anything when I told them about it.
Spirits - We ordered 3 cases of beer from Rite Way. Price was good. We got all the liquor from Duty Free or brought from home. If you go through San Juan or St Thomas stop by the Duty Free there to get the Good Stuff (sipping Rum, Scotch, and Whiskey 15 years or older). Mixing rum I would order either through Rite Way, Bobby's Marketplace or Tico. Find the best price.
To Generator or Not to Generator that is the question
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The countless engine hours to charge the batteries and double fuel bill of outrageous prices, Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, if a generator is not working.
We had a big cat with big energy needs. With no way to monitor the batteries except voltage (French built-in amp meter not working properly) and no generator we had to run the both engines minimum 3 hours a day or more to keep up the refrigerator and freezer needs. I won't mention the batteries were on their last legs. With most charters discharging the batteries less than 50% daily they take a beating. I looked at the battery charger and I don't think it was a smart multi-charge battery charger to de-sulfate the batteries. I mention this in my debrief. Not sure they understood what I meant.
That is all for now.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook