SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

yanmar YSE8 Fuel problem

5K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  sebez 
#1 ·
Ok, I changed the injector before winter.
I just changed the fuel filters, I have flow in all fuel lines.
Just took apart the fuel pump and cleaned it, put it all back together and I still don't have fuel squirting out of the pump...
The only piece of the system that I didn't take apart is the unit that is in between the big fuel filter monted on the boat and the small fuel filter mounted on the motor.
And what is that thing anyway?:confused:
It has two wires coming out of it, the supply line is attached to the back of it and the fuel line that goes to the small filter is attached to the front of it, right next to where the wires come out.

I'll try to post some pictures.

#3 ·
It would appear to be an electric fuel pump... I'd expect to hear it clicking if it's working. Are you getting voltage to it? loose wire? corroded connection?

btw Photobucket.com is a less clumsy way to post pictures... although flicker might also support img code links.

#6 ·
Can't see the pictures but if it has 2 wires coming out of it it is no doubt an electric pump. Faster is right, it should either click, or pulse. Some pumps may whir. The engine mounted pump may have an integral screen or filter in it? Also, make sure the tank is venting properly.

Pasul T

#5 ·
That looks like a sealed unit, no reason that any electric fuel pump wouldn't work. If the connections are not the same you might need to rearrange some hoses.

Just google '12V electric fuel pumps' and look for a match, making sure it's diesel rated...

#7 ·
OK the pump was shot.
Bought a new one, took the old one out, connected the old one to the batery, nothing, took the new one, connected that to the batery and the darn thing squirted some kind of oil all over me so that works. Installed the new one on the motor and connected the wire to the original wires, when the key is on it clicks.
but...but this is driving me nuts...still no fuel in the line that goes to the injector...maybe I have something in backwards at the high presure pump...got to check on the manual if I see a diagram of the pump..

#10 ·
Yes it has.
I have fuel coming to the high pressure pump.
I am wondering if when I took that pump off, I might have turned the spindle that is on top...
I will try to take the bloody thing off again and give that spindle one turn (loosen) then put the whole thing back...

#11 ·
FWIW the injection pump is the one part on an engine I wouldn't mess with DIY....

#13 · (Edited)
OK! She breathes life again! YaY!

So we get wrapped up in the details and the hard things...Airlock in the fuel filter!~

The whole thing was:
Putting it away.
Clean the whole motor.
New injector.
The electric fuel pump went kaput.
Drain and clean out all fuel lines.
Replace all fuel filters
New electric pump (NAPA Auto $55 plus they had all the filters for $25)
New fuel lines on motor.
Clean high pressure pump.
...about 10 hours including trips to the store.

Lessons learned:
Have the bilge Pigs in place to capture liquids.
Plenty of joy liquid for cleaning up the guy.
A very good idea to take a couple of pictures (high Res.) before you start messing with things...memory not as good as it could be.
Have a strong flat magnet attached to a stick for retreiving the small spring and the little ball in the high pressure pump when murphy's law takes over and the darn thing gets knocked over and it all ends up in the bilge under the fiber glass floor!
Swearing while in the boat may offend the people outside.
persistence and determination will always quiet down the nay-sayers.
I will have a spare electric pump in the tool box on the boat!

Life is good! Adele purs like a kitten!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.