SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I make this trip as a novice
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I make this trip as a novice

Have made that trip in my C&C 29. Just a few places to bail out on the Michigan shore. Center of lake has some freighter traffic so watch out. Pick your weather window wisely and do it in 1 stop. When looking at weather windows look for a stalled out weak high pressure system over the Great Lakes. It pretty much guarantees light wind and fair conditions for a couple of days. Don't even think of going in to Harbor Beach unless you use the south entrance. The Michigan shoreline has a lot of boulders so don't get any closer than a mile and half.

Boat probably has a Yanmar diesel. Have it checked out, fortunately they are pretty bullet proof. You should be able to motor in moderate conditions at 6 knots all day long. I strongly suggest you take another crew. A lot of things can go wrong with a boat new to you. Clogged filters on the diesel are pretty common for a boat that has sat for a while. Make sure you have a spare Racor filter and the secondary filter spare. Know how to change the filters. Also you want to know how to bleed the fuel lines. Take a small container of diesel fuel. If the filters clog and the system runs dry you will need it to prime the system. The mechanical manual pump on the Yanmar really doesn't get it done.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook