SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI Charter Lessons Learned
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013

captainmurph is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI Charter Lessons Learned

Excellent post! I'd only add a few tings -based on happenings on my bareboats in the BVI since '99.

1. Validate your initial water fill by going to each tank with a hose before you leave the dock. The time to find out that you are completely out of water is not when you are spending the night on Jost or Anegada!
2. Not only should you check out your reefing gear before leaving port, you might want to consider leaving port under a single or even double-reef if you have any doubts about the wind and sea state out of the harbor. It is always much easier to shake one out than put one in on a strange boat.
3. Be very flexible about your ininerary. Don't make your trip the the BVI something like that old move: "If it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium" Move into Island Time when yuu land in St. Thomas and don't let the inevitable disruptions to your plans bother you. When you are vacationing in De Ilons, your only schedule that matters is being on the hook before the sun goes down.
4. If you have glitches on the boat that you can't readily fix yourself, make sure that whatever is involved is absolutely necessary before you call for service assistance. If you can get by without it, you might consider having the charter company come near the end of the day when you are at a new harbor - hopefully closer to their base.

I've only used Sunsail and ProValor in my past 8 trips and while they were not event free, would give a good reference to either.

Murph

S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
South Haven/Douglas/Muskegon, MI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook