SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbie question
Thread: Newbie question
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2002

Joe206 is on a distinguished road
Newbie question

Thanks for the response. Actually I am 35 years old. I am a police officer and (with deferred comp) I should be able to retire at 50 if the retirement plan is changed in the next 15 years like they are still trying to. If it''s not changed I still will be able to retire at 53 years old (I''ll have more than my 20 in then).
We are in the Pacific Northwest and, along with the Columbia River, have many lakes in the area. I could be wrong but I believe the longest is about 30 miles long and up to 10 miles wide. There may be one larger, but I haven''t measured. Where we are at, unfortunately, is mainly power boat country especially in the summer and, while they can be fun, I am much more interested in sailing than power boating. Most of the area''s around here can get rather noisy and crowded with the power boats and jet ski''s during the week ends and I rarely see many sailboats due to the fact that the summer/transient population that we get on the lakes is mostly from over 100 miles away and they are the younger power boat set or the fishermen type. I am still looking around and I almost feel sorry for the next sailor I meet around here. They''d better be ready for a ton of questions .

My wife and I loved the idea of the immersion sailing training for a week vacation! Thanks alot for that idea! Seattle had some sailing schools I know and, while it is a bit a ways, a week trip for school would be a fun vacation! Do these schools provide boats to learn on or do they expect you to bring your own?

Thanks again for the response, and thanks in advance for your patience with all my questions

Joe
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook