View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Need help with rolling and tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjzerr View Post
Hello all:

I am repainting my boat by rolling and tipping. I am using Petit EZpoxy2 two-part epoxy finish. I'm having trouble getting the finish to flatten out. Also, the areas where the tipping overlaps is visible after the finish dries.

The past couple of days the temps have been 85-90 degrees with low humidity. Petit recommends 50-90 degrees for application, so it seems all is in order. I've been adding 8oz of Petit brushing thinner to 32oz of finish. I tipped the first coat with a badger hair brush and the second with a foam brush. Both left visible brush marks. I sanded down the first coat to remove the marks, switched to the foam brush, and ended with the same look.

Should I be thinning it more? Should I not thin at all? Any thoughts would be helpful. Tomorrow's supposed to be a few degrees cooler. Could the temp be the issue?

I have attached a couple of pics. You can see that the shine is good. The one of the transom shows the reflection of the rudder, but notice the brush marks at the right side of the transom. The other is my reflection. All would be fine if I was looking for some abstract artist look, but that's not what I'm going for. ;-)

Again, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Get a piece of glass and set it at about 70 degree from the vertical. Roll and tip and see if the brush strokes disappear, if not add more thinner, if it sags and runs add more paint.

Wipe the paint off the glass with thinners let it flash off and try again. This worked for me with International 2 pack and the finish was near a perfect spray job.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook