SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF Protocol
Thread: VHF Protocol
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF Protocol

[
Quote:
QUOTE=hellosailor;1033183]"I disagree that they call "vessel hailing the CG" simply because they believe a name is "silly". I am almost certain that there is a protocol that dictates the usage of vessel name versus the generic response."
I'm only assuming that was their motive, as everytime I've heard it done, I've heard the boat name (from the Skipper) and it was really silly. However, I can assure you it does happen.
Quote:
The USCG are the best in the business. There's usually a rationale behind their actions.
I appreciate what the CG does, and usually they are professional. However, I've seen several examples where they were simply over zealous kids with (our) very expensive toys. I've also heard CG radio communications that were laughable. The newbie, volunteer status of the operators several of you have mentioned probably explains this.

Regarding stupid boat names. This weekend, I heard a Ferry attempting to contact sailing vessel "Criminal Mischief" on 16 to determine intentions. After several attempts, the Ferry signed off with obvious contempt, saying "No Contact...learn the rules of the road CRIMINAL MISCHIEF!"
I thought later: "If I'm CG looking for a boat to board and I see two vessels, "Peggy Sue" and "Criminal Mischief"...Who shall I board? Hmmmm
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook