SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mirage 30 - propellor shaft strut
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013

Ken Bowering is on a distinguished road
Re: Mirage 30 - propellor shaft strut

Thanks for your comments/thoughts.

My preference is to remove the strut and have it straightened in a shop. However, I don't want to try to pull the strut out in case there are spurs or something inside that fiberglass dome, and I end up with a butcher job on the hull. So straightening it in place may seem like the only reasonable option.

I have ruled out misalignment. Had there been alignment, when the shaft was decoupled from the transmission, either the shaft or the engine would have "sprung" back into their proper place. But that didn't happen.

Have tried to contact the designer but so far haven't heard back. Expect he might not have been in on the builder's details but maybe can point me to someone else.

With the shaft removed, I can see where the shaft was rubbing on the hull. I can also see the cutlass bearing and, while it looks to be in good condition, while the shaft is out I'll probably replace it anyway. After all, it's been in there for almost 30 years.

Not sure how to go about straightening the strut in place and do so without putting a lot of lateral force on the hull. One thought is to get two steel plates - about 1/2 inch thick - and with 4 holes in each (holes about 1/2 inch in diameter. One of the plates would have a larger hole bored in it, and threaded.

Would put the plates on both sides of the strut/cutlass bearing holder, with the top of the plates against the top of the strut right where it comes out of the hull.

With the plates firmly in place, would then screw a bolt through the 5th hole in the one plate so that it pushes laterally against the strut.

Might be able to move it enough so that the shaft clears the hull.

Any thoughts on that approach?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook