SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Traditional boats : Baleeiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
I look forward to a pleasant eating and drinking orgy in Portugal this September when RC LOUISE heads south from Brittany. And I'm pleased to say my wife speaks Portuguese from her years as a doctor in East Africa. I will be emailing Paulo about the finer places to eat along the coast.

.... I always enjoyed the bar brawls on the deep south shore. I walk into the bar, the Portuguese fishermen would recognize you and bingo, black eye and some blood and then buying each other drinks.

Steve, your wife got my consideration. it seems to be one of those souls that like to help the ones that need help. Mozambique is a beautiful country with very nice people. Some of my friends had born there and i have family working there. If your wife does not know him and likes to read talke her about this guy:

We won this year's "Camőes" prize that is attributed yearly to the one that is considered the bets writer of Portuguese literature. He is a citizen of Mozambique and I love the way he writes. Nobody describes Africa the way he does. He is white but reading his books you would swear he is black and native...and native he is

This is some poetry even if most of his work is not poetry unless poetry can be written as of it was mot poetry. Mostly shot stories about people and nature.

http://pensador.uol.com.br/autor/mia_couto/

What's that about Portuguese in bar brawls? normally Portuguese are kind of self minded type of guys. They can be though and a pain in the ass but only after being pissed...a lot.

I am going away on the middle of this week and I intend to be away from internet most of the time bit I will try to find time to send you a PM with some suggestions of places to visit and wine and food to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
Paulo - If adding a Portuguese to my crew list will contribute to a wine-friendly boat, then I'll be sure to do so. As it turns out, I spend a fair amount of time up in the New Bedford area, which has a vibrant Portuguese community, primarily due to the commerical fishing industry, which employs many people originally from the Azores. ....
Mr Pelicano,

The beginning of the Portuguese community in new Bedford had to do with whaling fishing. One of the traditional economic activities in Azores was whale fishing and they went doing it as a traditional economic activity till some decades ago. Being New Bedford an industrialized whaling fishing center it attracted whale fishers from Azores looking for a better pay.

On Azores they had done it always on the traditional whaling small sailing boats without any support of bigger boats. The boats were developed by the Basques, the ones the ones that first hunted them on the west.

Today they sail and race the boats for fun:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 06-03-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook