SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interior Lighting Upgrades
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR
Interior Lighting Upgrades

Our 1987 Irwin 38cc has a multitude of original interior light fixtures (13 to be exact) that have sun / heat aged plastic lenses that we are replacing. We've found a source with the original molds and are expecting to get these some time this week. (At the same time we ordered two replacement LED bulbs specifically for these fixtures to see if we like the light color, before going the full LED route)

You can see the original fixtures are pretty brown:

Also, note the PO's version of LED upgrade

Notice the light switches in the lenses (centered on the square ones, on one end on the rectangular ones). The new lenses do NOT have a hole drilled for the switches - so I'm thinking why not take the opportunity to rethink the switches rather than just reuse what is there.

I'm wondering if a rocker type switch on the side of the fiberglass "pad" would work. I've been trying to source mini rocker switches and have come up with some sources (mostly automotive and black w LED indicator lights) but would love some feedback on feasibility of this plan and other switch ideas.

Here's the insides of one of the square fixtures. You can see the fiberglass lip that the fixture sits inside.

My ideal would be little cream colored rocker switches on the side of that lip.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook