SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do I need to be legal?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013

postwarcomet27 is on a distinguished road
What do I need to be legal?

Hello Everyone,

I live in an apt in South Jersey, I have been looking for a 27-28 foot sailboat to live on for nearly a month now. I scan ads on all day looking for a decent affordable boat. I have found a good amount in the Barnegat Bay area that are pretty close by. However, after looking at areas like Norfolk, VA I found that there are a lot more boats for sale and they are a lot more affordable.

So my question is, if I was to buy a boat in VA and found a marina that I could dock at and live on. What would I have to do to be completely legal? Would I need to register my boat with VA (I have NJ license and address and I do not know of any friends or relatives in VA that I could use as an address). Would I have to travel back to NJ to register the boat? Could I just document the vessel with the USCG? Also, would I need a boat license in VA? I am about to take my test for my NJ boat safety course, so I will have that very soon. I'm just unsure of what I would need to successfully move from NJ to VA and become a liveaboard. Any thoughts or insights on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I've always thought about moving to Florida, so that is also a possibility.

Thanks
Jared
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook