SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do I need to be legal?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: What do I need to be legal?

LOL...just re-read your post, and see that you're considering moving to VA, not keeping the boat in NJ. If you do it that way, as Don points out, you'll have personal property taxes to pay in VA, and they can be a real pain. I'm 90% sure VA also has a state registration requirement (I think I saw the sticker on my boat).

Ultimately, what's your real goal? Is it to live aboard a sailboat and travel the world, live aboard a sailboat and travel the East Coast, live aboard a boat at a dock somewhere comfortable and occasionally leave the slip, or just avoid some of the costs associated with living on land and be more self-sufficient? Each of those are perfectly valid reasons for wanting to get a boat, but different boats will meet (or fail horribly to meet) each of those requirements. And, of course, the locale also had a lot do to with it. If you're able to move and want to go someplace where you can get the boat out on the water for extended periods of time, I'd strongly consider Florida, especially the Gulf Coast.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook