SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do I need to be legal?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013

postwarcomet27 is on a distinguished road
Re: What do I need to be legal?

Thanks Everyone, I figured I would have to travel back to NJ for registration. I did not know I would have to wait until USCG document would take that long to be transferred yikes!

jimgo I live right next to Blackwood, I'm in Runnemede right off Rt. 42, small world lol. I do plan on moving back up around NJ, probably Cape May, but not until next Spring (I hate cold winters). My ultimate goal is to be more self sufficient and live on a boat that I can travel down south in the winter and head back up to NJ/DE/MD area in the spring/summer. I've been looking at the Fl keys, as a winter destination. I am also a musician and hear they have a lot of bars, clubs, which I'm sure I could find some work at.

As for picking a 27-28' boat. It's mainly because they are the most common and affordable boats Ive seen. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a nice spacious 32' boat, but they usually come with a higher price tag for something decent. I do not have many personal belongings and I've always been living in different areas, so I have everything I need packed into 4 rubbermaid containers, pretty much ready to go. I think that I could do a Cat 27 or something similar for a while, until I'm ready financially for something bigger.

I am also really considering just heading to Florida, but again I'm not sure how their registration works. I know many liveaboards go there, so I'm sure it can't be too hard to be legal. I'm really just looking on how to get registration numbers on my boat, while still legally being an out of stater. This will be my first boat purchase, and of course it would be super complicated. I'd like to be on a boat by labor day at the very latest, but I have some money saved up now, so the sooner the better.

Also, how necessary is boat insurance? If I'm living off the hook do I need it? I've read that most marinas require it, any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook