SailNet Community - View Single Post - Docking with a spring line questions
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Docking with a spring line questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Assuming you are docking bow-in: Your spring needs to be aft of your spinnaker padeye- for a springline to work properly as an "arrestor hook" when looped around the aft most dock cleat when docking, it has to be at, or aft of, the fattest part of the boat.
Enter slip slow, drop spring line over cleat, turn towards dock, throttle up, she'll snuggle right up to the dock- with a wind blowing off the dock, add more throttle after the spring is over the dock cleat.
BL is right on. I single hand our C&C 35 a lot. The midship cleat placed on the jib track just aft of the widest part of the boat is where my first line loop goes and get dropped around. I have the other line measured and tied around the piling or dock cleat so that even at it fullest extension the bow wont hit the dock box at the head of the slip. It also prevents the boat from blowing back out of the slip or sideways too much. The piling, dock cleat is also aft of the widest part of the boat, but not all the way behind the stern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook