SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Jpk 10.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
As I was taking my midday walk, a short time ago, I came to the conclusion that I will need to schedule a trip to Europe next year to visit the various yards and get a first hand look at the boats that are tempting me, including the Malango 888 and 999, the SeaScape 27, the Archambault 31 (and the new 35 by then), the Dehler 32 and 38, and who knows what else, since in 12 months I expect to see even more new, enticing interesting boats.

You should not forget the JPK 10.10 and if you are considering a 35/36ft, the new Sunfast 3600 and the JPK 10.80. The two last are still being built and we can only speculate about the performance, but regarding the JPK 10.10, that's a fact.

The Round the Island race with about 1500 sailboats and many top and well sailed boats is a very valuable source of information. As it is a around an Island they will get wind over all directions so the information does not privilege upwind or downwind sailing.

I have started looking at the results and one of the first things that call my attention was the incredibly good JPK 10.10 performance and not only in relative terms since the only two racing made 1st and 2nd in its class but also in absolute terms. Their asolute performance in real time was even more impressive: The fastest has made it in 6h 35m and the other one in 6h 45m. There was plenty J111 racing and I have no doubt that some of them were very well sailed. The fastest had done it in 6h 35m all the others, and they were much more than the JPK, had done a lot worst.

Now, the J111 is not only 1m longer as it is much of a race boat with a schematic interior while the JPK 10.10, while being racing oriented has a nice cruising interior for a top cruiser racer. Besides that the JPK 10.10 is forgiven enough to be solo raced and that would not be the case of the J111, specially downwind.

Look at both boats, first the JPK 10.10 and don't forget that the JPK is more than 3ft smaller and less expensive:

The JPK 10.10:

The J 111:

Now, I am not saying bad things about the J 111, a boat I like very much, a great and very fast one, just comparing its performance with the JPK 10.10 on this race.

Just compare it with the times done by more conventional cruiser racers. You can compare the JPK 10.10 (a 10m boat) with the times of the typical 12m modern performance cruiser...and be prepared for a surprise

Download this spread sheet:

J.P. Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race - Results for the 2013 race

And I let you with Zulu, anoter JPK 10.10 winning another major race some days ago, this one a different one, a regatta. Yes this boat wins offshore races, regattas, solo races and besides that it has an interior that allow it to cruise. I would say that is difficult to do better.

Chapeau to the designer, J. Valer.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 06-03-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook