SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interested in liveaboard vessels. Advice?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013

SailorBrett is on a distinguished road
Interested in liveaboard vessels. Advice?

Good evening everyone! I'm new to the forums and relatively new to sailing. I did spend a summer out on Long Island learning to sail small daysailers no more than 12ft, but that was over a decade ago. Now I'm 24, finally out of college, and grounded enough to start pursuing my dreams again. That being said here's what I would like to do. I would like to live aboard a sailboat, preferably ~30ft as long as I can sail her myself. I'm thinking a sloop to keep things simple, and my main desire is to have the ability to take her out off the coast and sail up and down, from Virginia to the Caribbean and back again, and then some.

So, mainly a liveaboard but with coastal sailing capabilities, and an emphasis on comfort. I have no problem working towards my dream with steady determination, and plenty of planning (and saving).

So this is where you guys come in. I'm chasing an old dream without a whole lot of knowledge. I need to know things like maintenance costs, skills I should learn, what boat models you would recommend, equipment I should buy, monthly costs of living aboard, what your biggest challenges to overcome were, etc. etc. What did you wish you knew before you started living aboard and what would you recommend to the new guy on the dock? I appreciate all input and look forward to reading your responses. Thank you!

Also, if anyone is in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, let me know if you know of any good clubs or places I can take some advanced lessons in sailing!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook